Treating Ibuprofen Overdose Patients

August 27th, 2007 by | Category: Medicine

Note: If you are overdose on ibuprofen or any other medicine/drug call the emergency now!

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), which helps to relieve pain and/or swelling or inflammation. Ibuprofen is used on patients to relieve them of pains like, headaches, backaches, toothache, menstrual cramps, muscle aches, athletic injuries, or even arthritis. Ibuprofen is sometimes also used for reducing fever and to relieve minor aches and pains due to the common cold or flu.

How does Ibuprofen Work? Ibuprofen works by blocking the enzyme in our body, which are responsible for making prostaglandins. Decreasing this prostaglandins helps to reduce pain, swelling, and fever.

Ibuprofen is not recommended for Ibuprofen Overdose Patients with the following: active peptic ulcers or gastrointestinal bleeding, patients with the angioedema syndrome, nasal polyps or other no steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, for women are pregnant and lactating. Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus should not use ibuprofen except under a physician’s supervision.

If you notice any of the following rare side effects which seem to be serious and you think it’s a result of Ibuprofen Overdose, stop taking ibuprofen and seek immediate medical help. Symptoms such as black stools, continuous stomach/abdominal pain, vomit that is like coffee grounds, pain in the chest, experiencing weakness on one side of the body, sudden changes in vision, experiencing slurred speech.

If you suspect Ibuprofen overdose in a patient, contact your local poison control center or emergency immediately. Symptoms of Ibuprofen overdose could be any of the following: severe cramp like stomach ache, vomiting, unusually fast or slow heartbeat, troubled breathing, feeling extremely drowsy, loss of consciousness, or seizures.

If Ibuprofen overdose that is suspected to be greater than 200 mg/kg, it is suggested that the patient seeks medical help by way of getting treated for gastrointestinal decontamination using activated charcoal (1 g/kg). The drug is less likely to be brought under control if the time elapsed after ingestion is greater than 1 hour. It is an important point to note that since seizures can occur in children with ibuprofen overdose, emesis should not be induced at this level of overdose. The symptoms start to show within 4 hours of ingestion so the patient should be observed for at least such a period of time.

If Ibuprofen overdose that is greater than 400 mg/kg, it is suggested that the patient is taken to hospital and kept under observation. Immediate and basic lab tests include arterial blood gases, electrolyte levels, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and liver function studies. Never get into self-help or trying out home remedies when you are suspecting Ibuprofen overdose. Since it can be fatal, its best to seek medical help. The more time you allow to pass, the more complicated it keeps getting for an Ibuprofen Overdose Patient.

Since Ibuprofen Overdose is a medical emergency, its best left to medical practitioners.





Was this article useful?
Enter your email address and receive our articles automatically whenever we have a new article:

 
Comments:
post a comment

No comments yet.

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)





© 2006 - 2014 Healthoma.com. You can link to the articles of this website from your websites but are not allowed to post the whole articles on your websites. Violators will be prosecuted.