What Can Dextromethorphan or Robitussin Overdose do?

Cough syrup overdosing or Robitussin overdose is nothing new. Even children overdose on it because they get high from consuming and slowly it turns into addiction.

DXM, or dextromethorphan is a chemical that acts as an effective cough suppressant when taken properly.

More than 80 different types of cold medicines are available legally over the counter that contains dextromethorphan.

Addiction and Overdose of Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn

When a medicine, which contains dextromethorpahn, is taken in excess it produces psychedelic effect.

Because of its legal over the counter availability of these drugs, Dextromethorpahn and Robitussin overdose is hard to track and keep the record of.

Robitussin, is one of the most popular cold syrup that contains Dextromethorphan.

It is a cough suppressant and it’s available over the counter in the form of syrup and pills as well.

Dextromethorphan is not addictive physically, but users who are entranced by its dissociation affects develop an addiction that’s more psychological.

This also happens because this drug is widely and legally available over the counter.

Side Effects of Dextromethorpahn  or Robitussin Overdose

Dextromethorphan or Robitussin overdose is a result of over taking the standard dosage of the drug.

DXM is mixed with other chemicals for an added effect or in long run complicated medical problems.

More than physical Dextromethorpahn overdose, the possibility for panic or psychological breakdown as the result of a strong trip is more.

Side effects of DXM or Robitussin Overdose Addiction

Those who take it can become paranoid.

There have been cases when such people get stuck in a “time loop” which means they will not return to their original perspective.

Treating this order takes very long and is a gradual process.

It is a kind of drugs addiction and should be taking seriously.

Most of the teenagers are at the risk of become addicted to Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn Overdose addiction and parents should be careful with that.

The DXM or Robitussin Overdose Because of Mixed Drugs

Mixing DXM with other depressants can result in overdose and result in respiratory failure.

When DXM and alcohol are taken together the affect is, vomiting and sometimes can lead to alcohol poisoning.

With mixing DXM with serotonin-affecting hallucinogens like, Ecstasy may lead to Serotonin Syndrome and chronic depression.

Heavy, chronic use of DXM can lead to Olney’s Lesions to form on the brain.

This type of brain damage can have an affect directly on memory, emotional behavior and cognitive ability.

Permanent Side Effects of The Dextromethorpahn or Robitussin Overdose Addiction

Some reports from research labs suggest that stopping Dextromethorphan or Robitussin Overdose addiction can allow for minor damage to heal.

Moreover, more serious cases are where the patient’s mental deterioration continues even if he stops overdosing

This issue sometimes leads to epilepsy and psychosis on a permanent basis.

The Risk of Dextromethorpahn Overdose Is Real

It may not be life threatening, but will inevitably cause nausea and vomiting at high doses.

In extreme cases when knowingly or unknowingly it is mixed with other things the harm it can cause may be permanent.

DXM overdose in young children can cause a serious problem and even death.

Safest advice is that if you read any of these symptoms;
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Itching or irritation on the skin
  • Feeling confused
  • Motor control loss
  • Loss of sensory perception
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Paranoia
  • Muscle spasms etc

In any Robitussin  overdose situation you should call a doctor or go to the local emergency hospital as soon as possible.

When you go to the hospital you have to make sure to be prepare with the following relevant information…

1- For how long you have been overdosing on Robitussin or Dextromethorphan or with which other similar medications.

2- What was the amount of Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn you toke.

3- The age and all personal information.

More information you give the better the doctor will be able to treat you.

Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn Overdose in Children

Overdose of Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn or any other cold and cough supplements for children under the age of 4 is very serious and can cause death as well.

For the children under the age of 4 it is not recommended to use any dextromethorpahn or any other medication that contains that medication.

However, sometimes accidentally the child might have token the big amount of Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn.

As a result he/she will be overdose, and should be taken to the hospital emergency immediately.

Children over the age of 4 if they are in need for any over the counter cold or cough medication such as Robitussin or Dextromethorpahn the parents should make sure to follow the right standard dosage that written in the label.

Sometimes the parents  give the combination of two separate medication by mistake such as cold and cough to the child and that might cause the overdose.

Parents should make sure to give the right amount of the dosage to the children and read the label before using it.

To Conclude

In any case of overdose such as Robitussin overdose, you should take the patient to the local emergency hospital for the immediate treatments.

Make sure to keep any medications out of reach of the children to avoid any type of overdose such as Robitussin overdose.

One thought on “What Can Dextromethorphan or Robitussin Overdose do?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.